You can use your office network to run CrossLink on multiple PCs connected to the same office network. The instructions below require that the computers in your tax office are connected to the same office network and workstations can see the computer where the software is installed. You can find additional information about setting up a Windows network on support.microsoft.com.
Follow the instructions below to successfully install CrossLink 1040 on a network:
1. Install CrossLink on your main/server computer (see 1040 - Installing Crosslink 1040)
2. Share the "Xlink" folder installed on your server PC (instructions on how to share below).
- Right-click the desired "Xlink" folder and then click Properties.
- Click the Sharing tab and then click Save.
- Type "Everyone" in the share field and then click Add.
- Make sure the Permission Level for Everyone is set to Read/Write and then click Share.
🖐 Note: Take note of the share link that displays on screen. You will use this information to access the shared folder from workstation PCs (example: \\PC_name\Xlink21).
Method 2 (xlink21 and above)
- Navigate to the software installation folder (i.e. C:\xlink22).
- Right-click the "ShareXlinkCurrentFolderV3.bat" and select Run as Administrator.
- When the command prompt appears, enter "y" to share the installation.
- Press any key to close the command prompt. Make note of the software path as you will use this to navigate to your main computer from the workstation.
3. On your workstation PC, use the share link information to access the shared "Xlink" folder
- Using the workstation PC, open File Explorer and type the information from the server share link on the address line and press Enter.
4. Create a desktop shortcut of the "xlink32.exe" file found in the "Xlink" folder (steps below).
- Inside the shared "Xlink" folder, find the "xlink32.exe" file.
- Right-click the "xlink32.exe" file and then click Sent to > Desktop (create shortcut).
5. Once done, minimize everything and locate the "Shortcut to xlink32.exe" on the desktop, rename the link to your desired filename format (i.e. Crosslink 2022).