This function allows you to create and edit user logins and passwords for enhanced security purposes. It also allows the prohibition of users into certain areas of the program by the use of Access Levels. Each user must have their own unique Login ID and Password, making this step a requirement if more than one user will be preparing returns. One Administrator login account is already created when you open the program.
Follow the instructions below to successfully create a login account in CrossLink 1040:
1. Log into CrossLink 1040 with an Administrator Access Level.
2. Click Setup > Login Accounts.
3. Click Add to open the Login Preferences window.
4. Update Login Details (see More Details below).
🖐 Note: The only required fields to create a login are Login Id, Email Address, Password, Confirm Password and Access Level.
5. Select OK
6. An activation email will be sent to the designated email address. This process will allow the user to use the password that was entered previously and then prompt them to create their own password.
- In the Login ID box, type a unique Login ID that will be the username to log into the program.
- In the Login Name box, type a name of the preparer. This box is informational only and is useful to keep track of which person is assigned to a Login ID.
- For tax year 2016 and moving forward it is recommended to add an email and cell phone to the Email Address and Cell Phone fields in order to recover your password (Forgot Password) if needed.
- In the Password and Confirm Password boxes, type the desired password.
- Passwords designated here are temporary passwords and will prompt the user for a new password. The only exception is default Admin login account
- Access Level: this will set the Access Level for this Login ID.
- Preparer Shortcut ID drop-down menu: select the appropriate Prep ID or click the New button. By selecting a Prep ID from this list, it will link all the information within that Prep ID record (i.e., preparer signature, PTIN, name, etc,..) with that Login ID and auto populate relevant forms (i.e., 8879, 5453, etc,..).
- Color Scheme: this will set the default color scheme within the ticket interface for this Login ID.
- Client Data Screen: this will set the default Client Data page layout that you would see inside of a return. Changes here will not take affect until the next login.
- Questionnaire: this is will set the default language for the Questionnaire for this Login ID.
- Client Letter: this will set the default language of the Client Letter for this Login ID.
- Lookup Sort By: this will set how the Lookup page sorts client returns. The options are: SNN (EIN), Name, or Create Order.
- Signature Pad Type: this will set the default Signature Pad hardware for this Login ID. the options are: Topaz Pad, Scriptel Pad, and On-Screen Capture.