This article demonstrates how to back up a single tax return and restore it on another computer.
Follow the instructions below to back up a return and restore that return:
The Transfer Return function is used to copy a tax return to another computer. To transfer the return, some form of portable media is needed (e.g. a thumb drive, portable hard drive, etc).
Step 1 - Back up the Return:
1. Login with Admin Rights.
2. Open the return to be transferred.
3. Click Return >Transfer Return.
- If the program is being ran on the Master User of a multi-office install, The Transfer Return window will open. Click No to continue, or click Yes if you want to send the return back to the originating office. The Transfer Returns window will open.
4. Click the “…” button to open the Transfer File window.
5. In this window, browse to the location on the portable media where the return is to be saved.
6. In the File Name field, type a name for the transfer file.
7. In the Label field, type a description for the tax return.
8. Click Save to return to the Transfer Returns window.
9. Click OK to create the transfer file for the return.
- The Transfer File Contents window will open displaying the contents of the transfer file.
10. Click Close to close this window.
11. The Desktop Tax Program will transfer the return to the directory selected.
Step 2 - Restore the return:
1. Insert the portable media (in the desired pc) and note the drive letter assigned to it by Windows.
2. Open the program and login with Admin Rights.
3. Click Utility >Retrieve Returns (Select a File to Retrieve window will open).
4. Browse to the folder containing the transferred tax return (refer to Step 1 for drive letter).
5. Select the appropriate transfer file and click Open (Transfer File Contents dialog will open).
6. Select the returns to be transferred.
7. Click Retrieve to transfer the selected returns to this computer.
8. The return will now be available on this machine.