This article demonstrates how to transfer a tax return to another computer. Use Transfer Return to copy a tax return to a different computer. When you transfer a tax return, you back up a copy of the tax return and restore it on another computer. To transfer the return, you’ll need to have access to portable media.
Follow the instructions below to successfully transfer a return to another computer:
Step 1: Back up the return
1. Open the return to backup.
2. On the Return menu, click Transfer Return. The Transfer Returns dialog appears.
3. In the File Name box, type the folder where you want to save the tax return file.
- Example: x:\filename.xf# (# represents the tax year for example tax year 2018 will be .xf8)
4. In the Label box, type a description for the tax return.
5. Click OK and the software copies the tax return to the location you selected.
Step 2: Restore the return
1. Click Utility menu in the software.
2. Click Retrieve Returns.
3. In the Select a File to Retrieve dialog, browse to the folder where you saved the backed up tax return.
4. In the Transfer File Contents dialog, select the desired check box in the Site column.
5. Click Retrieve. The return now appears in the Lookup screen.
6. Double-click the return you want to open.